iran has declared its second crypto mining ban for this year in an attempt to conserve more power during the bitter cold winters. Mostafa rajabi mashhadi, corporate director, Iran grid management co. And an Iranian electricity industry spokesperson noted that the ban will continue until March 9 of next year.
As per mashhadi, the ban will save up to 209 megawatts of electricity for registered crypto mine operators, which will be repurposed to the household sector to further prevent power outages and reduce the extent of pressure on iran's power plants. Iranian authorities are also actively closing all unregistered mining farms or even independent minors operating from their homes. according to bloomberg’s report that quoted mashhadi it was ascertained that these illegal crypto mining operators reckon the largest share of crypto mining in the nation, consuming over 600 megawatts of power.
Rajabi mashhadi stressed that the government will also take other fuel-saving measures with the prohibition of crypto mining. He added that the country has found itself in a state of electricity scarcity again because of its inability to produce 60% more electricity in the summer.
first crypto mining ban in iran
earlier this year, during the month of may, iran had announced a temporary ban on crypto mining owing to consistent blackouts in the region hindering with business operations. The ban that began on May 26 and lasted until September 22 was primarily due to illegal mining in the country.
The iranian president compared the minimal amount of electricity consumed by crypto mining farms recorded with the massive waste of electricity by illegal mining operations, accusing the unrecorded sector of crypto mining for prohibition.
“the authorized mining of cryptocurrencies does not consume much electricity and needs just around 300 megawatts. however, it is unauthorized crypto miners that consume a lot of electricity; they consume about 2,000 megawatts…as of today, it will be forbidden even for authorized miners to mine cryptocurrencies until late september.”
- Iran confirms the 2nd ban on cryptography mines in 2021.
- elon musk thinks this individual could be the potential bitcoin (btc) creator satoshi
- bitcoin price trades under $48k as $6 billion worth of options contract nears expiry
- Fisher Investments CEO says Crypto is no longer "potential risk"
- South Korea: Authorities are calling on Apple and Google to block all P2E games.
- breaking: indian security regulator warns mutual funds against investing in crypto
- nft marketplace unxd and decentraland to host virtual metaverse fashion week
- proshares files with the sec for a metaverse etf amid growing craze
- key factors that propelled ether’s 4x growth over bitcoin’s in 2021
- gold proponent peter schiff claims bitcoin is losing its first-mover advantage
- price analysis: uniswap consolidates while convex finance targets $50
- dusk network price analysis: dusk price hints another pullback opportunity for crypto investors
- price analysis: iota jumps 7% while filecoin struggles to trade above $40
- sushiswap price analysis: rising channel pattern leads recovery rally in sushi
- cardano price analysis: ada price rally reclaiming crucial resistance of $1.5
- icon price analysis: icx coin 20% green despite a red flag in crypto market
- Cost analysis: Aave showed a cross of death while Pancakeswap remained consolidated.
- Binance Corner in the green whilst Ethereum falls on its chart: crucial price levels.
- Price Analytics: Uniswap, Monero and Helium Soar Again After A Period Of Rocky Trading.
- convex finance price analysis: cvx token escapes the consolidation phase